Primary research excercises:
.Vox pox: What is a thriller?
.Questionnaire
Our target audience will range between the ages of 15-30 due to the fact that most crime thriller movies which I found through research has had a BFI certification of at least 15 or over (Taken, Man of Fire, Law Abiding Citizen). Moreover, our target audience will attract both male and females, especially those who enjoy thrillers with a decent amount of action involved. This specified audience profile is due to my results from my primary research; Vox Pox & Questionnaire, and secondary research; IMDB summarys of crime thrillers, Slideshare summaries of sub genres, message boards from IMDB, etc.
We have chosen to specify this target audience as looking back at my questionnaire, I found that the age range from 15-30 year olds specifically stated that they enjoy a complex and anticipating narrative, parts of action to upbruptly break tension, and realistic yet exaggerated plots, such as involvements of murder, robbery, kidnap, revenge, etc.
I feel that the age range for my target audience is of a wide range, however with a strong justification. For example, before the film Taken begins, there is a BFI of certification of "15 years or over" due to "strong language, dangerous behaviour, strong violence and scenes of a sexual nature", therefore, due to maturity and better understanding, the age range would be sensible to state it at 15 or over. Furhermore as my opening scene will contain traits of Taken and Man on Fire, I've decided to put this research into consideration of their BFI certificates.
Moreover, after playing my pitch back to 10 different individuals (male and female, 12 and over), I asked them what certification they would put my crime thriller into.
Here are the results:
10% - 18 certificate
70%- 15 certificate
20%- 12 certificate
0% - PG certificate
0% - U certificate
This has contributed to my final decision of my target audience age range.


No comments:
Post a Comment