Sunday, 15 December 2013

Crime Thriller Movie Research Picture Analysis



I have screenshot images of these successful crime thriller movie promotional posters; "Law Abiding Citizen", "Taken", "Se7en" and "Disturbia" to gain a idea of what image these crime thrillers portray. Moreover, after this analysis of the films' promotional posters, I'm hoping to gather enough information in order to understand what imagery these crime thrillers emit, in order to see what aspects I may decide to involve within my own opening scene, making sure that I conform to the correct crime thriller conventions through this existing film analysis. 

1. Law Abiding Citizen

In the Law Abiding Citizen promotional poster, the general focus is put towards both the protagonist (Denzel Washington) and the antagonist (Gerard Butler), depending on what way you interpret these characters. Therefore, this presents that it would be important to focus the narrative on both the antagonist and the protagonist. Furthermore the colour red is intensely portrayed within this promotional poster, as well as the others, therefore I feel that his represents the theme of danger to a high extent.

2.Taken
In the Taken promotional poster, the main subject within the poster is a shadowed figure running. Therefore, I feel this represents the theme of mysterious secrecy and climax to a crime. Moreover, th gray colour grading of the poster trembly emits a dreary and suspenseful imagery to the movie as a whole. Therefore, I feel that it will be essential for me to include this colour grading to emit the dismal atmosphere through the screen. 

3.Se7en
Once again, similar to the Law Abiding Citizen, the Se7en promotional poster focuses on both the antagonist and the protagonist, shows equal significance to the film's narrative. Furthermore, the edited technique of fading the close up portrait of both main characters reinforces the them of mystery. I feel that it would be beneficial for me to use aspects of either shallow focus or fading to reinforce the aspect of enigma.

4.Disturbia
Within the disturbia poster, the focus is just brought upon the main protagonist in the binoculars. The binoculars gave me a theory of using a vast amount of point of view shooting from my protagonists viewpoint as this will create a more realistic approach towards the audience, as well theheme of anticipation will then be heightened. Moreover, within the binoculars, there is the image of a unknown shadowed figure. This allowed me to approach idea of possibly masking a questionable identity for the antagonist, creating more drama and mystery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment